Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Busy, Busy Days...

I know it's been quite a while since I last posted, so I thought I'd catch everyone up on our last few weeks.

Happy Birthday Lauren!!

First of all, Lauren turned 1 on September 12. Our little baby is officially now a toddler! And boy does she toddle! About 2 weeks before her birthday, she started walking and hasn’t looked back. For a few weeks she was doing the Frankenstein walk (arms out at a 70 degree angle, knees never bending as she walked…) but now she’s mastered the skill and has even started running… everywhere… she runs after the cats, away from me when she knows I am trying to get to her (usually because she has something she’s not supposed to), and whenever there’s a playground in sight.

Lauren has also started to speak. She says “Uh Oh” all the time and “da-da” whenever she sees Tyrone (I’m eager for her to start saying “ma-ma”, but no luck so far). She says “key key” when the cats are around and makes a funny noise (almost like a pant) whenever she sees dogs or cows - seems she thinks they are one and the same.

Thinking back to where we were one year ago, I'm astounded at how much has changed and how different our lives our. And, not to sound cliched, I can't imagine life without her!

California Bound

Over two weekends in September, we made two separate trips to California to visit each of our families. First was to LA to visit Tyrone’s family. We celebrated Lauren’s birthday with them at Chuck E Cheese, which turned out to be a good time. It was nice to go somewhere where we didn’t have to do any prep or clean up, even if it was quite a zoo. Lauren was doted on by her nana, papa, and all her aunts, uncles and cousins and we were sad to have to leave after only a few days.

The next weekend we traveled to San Diego to visit my family. Lauren and I arrived on Thursday afternoon, just in time to take a bay cruise on my aunt & uncle’s new boat. It was a beautiful afternoon and we had a fantastic time, relaxing and taking in the San Diego coastline. Even though she was exhausted from the day’s travels, Lauren really perked up once the boat started moving and squealed with glee from feeling the wind and sea spray on her face. Tyrone was able to join us on Friday and we all went to the Padres game. The Pads lost (shocker), but we’re glad we went – can you believe it was our first time at Petco Park? Saturday, we had a backyard BBQ with the family to celebrate Lauren’s birthday (another party? what a spoiled little girl!!). Another beautiful day, perfect for hanging out in the backyard, drinking some wine and watching the cousins play together. The weekend was over far too quickly, but fortunately, we’ll be back for Halloween!

Two themes emerged from all our travels: one, traveling with a 12 month old is an exhausting experience, and two, Lauren is quite a loved little girl!

Back at Home

We’re now back at home, starting to get back into a routine, and *trying* to get things done around the house. I really want to move Lauren out of the room we’ve been using for her bedroom (it's a really only a den) and into a true bedroom in the back of the house where it will be much quieter. After no less than 15 different paint samples, I’ve settled on a shade of light pink that complements her bedding and have started painting the room. I had really lofty ideas that I could get it done in a few days, but after spending several hours in there one evening and only getting a part of the baseboard edging done, I’m beginning to rethink my timeline…

I have months worth of pictures on my camera that need to be downloaded and I can’t seem to find the cable to do that. Once I get around to finding it, I’ll post some pics from the last few weeks.

No comments: